Sometimes I need an alternative to a green salad. Do you know what I mean? Here's an easy side dish for some extra color punch on your plate. My corn salad is a winner every time. Nothing says fresh better!
All these colorful ingredients are nutrient dense. Vitamins and minerals abound. This salad is sulfur rich due to the onions. These vegetables are particularly high in vitamin C, a nutrient involved in regulating immune health, collagen production, and tissue repair. Onions are a source of potassium, a mineral in which many people are lacking. The citrus and olive oil add a depth of flavor and healthy fat.
1. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
2. Shuck your corn and place them into the pot for about 2 minutes.
3. Cool the corn slightly and strip it from the cob with a sharp knife. Place the corn in a medium bowl.
4. Chop the red onion, green onions, and parsley. Place them into the bowl with the corn.
5. Toss the ingredients together.
6. Drizzel with olive oil and squeeze the lime (or lemon) over the salad. Toss again.
7. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
On occasion, I add beautiful shrimp to make this a delightful full summer meal.
Note: I always use organic ingredients whenever possible.